Monday, January 25, 2010

My Nerdiest Post To Date

A big shout out to Doc for providing me with one of the coolest days of my life.


Today I got to observe an open heart surgery and it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I mean, I saw a heart beating in a chest cavity. The whole staff was great and were more than willing to answer any questions I had. Now of course the anesthesiologist was having fun with me and told me that if I got light headed to lock my knees and lean forward. But as I promised him, I will tell you he is the greatest anesthesiologist to walk the face of the earth. Also, about an hour into the surgery and nurse handed me a clamp (the thing in the picture) and said it was my OR souvenir. I'll have you know that the entire MC household made fun of me not so much for bringing it home, but for how excited I was about it.

I know I had a lot of other things I wanted to include in this post, but now I can't remember them. I do want to include one more thing though. Everyone in the operating room felt compelled to tell me how great you are Doc. I mean, I was like "yeah whatever." Just kidding. Thought you should know.


To put the awesomeness of this experience into perspective I'll give you this analogy. Say you're an accountant. Then this would be like getting to go inside the IRS headquarters. And I guess my clamp would be like a souvenir calculator. Be audit you can be.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you accused me of being a nerd today.

Anderson Family said...

Congratulations on your great day! It is not nerdie to have a passion for learning new things. (That is what I say about The Kid.)

Doc said...

Thanks for the shout out!! It was fun having you there... finally. Awesome souvenir!!! Doc

Tru Stories said...

Doc was the first person to take me to Noodles and Company. I would almost consider that as life changing...seriously.

Toula said...

i think i would enjoy an open heart surgery much more than the IRS building, but the calculator would be a plus...

BIG BAD said...

I have been sitting here waiting for someone to make a comment on you audit comment. GO ARMY

The Mrs. said...

Is this invitation open to all family members, Doc? I like to think that my faithful viewing of both ER and Grey's Anatomy would make me more than qualified for admittance to the gallery. I even have a lab coat & stethoscope I could dust off if looking official is a prerequisite.

Tina said...

I assure you, the IRS offices are nothing exciting. Sounds like your day was, though!